Regional

COVID-19 cases surge in NE as lockdown 4.0 ends

COVID-19 cases surge in NE as lockdown 4.0 ends
COVID-19 confirmed cases tally of 8 NE states as of May 30, 9.40 P.M.
Guwahati/agartala/Shillong/imphal, May 30 (Correspondent) | Publish Date: 5/30/2020 12:48:09 PM IST

 Assam’s tally touches 1,100-mark with 43 new cases

Assam’s COVID-19 tally touched the 1,100-mark with 43 more people testing positive on Saturday, the state’s Health and Family Welfare Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said.

The state at present has 968 active cases, he said.

“Alert Rs 43 new cases of #COVID19+ 5 Dhubri, 5 Golaghat, 3 Barpeta, 1 Bongaigaon, 29 by various labs (dist to be confirmed),” Sarma said in a tweet.

Four patients have so far died due to the contagion in the state, while 125 have been cured and discharged from hospitals, the minister said.

Three patients have migrated to other states.

 On Friday, Assam had crossed the 1,000-mark with a single-day highest tally of 177 new infections, including six air travellers.

Earlier in a separate tweet, Sarma informed that a CSIR-NEIST COVID-19 testing laboratory will be functional from now in Jorhat district of Upper Assam.

The state has seen a spurt in coronavirus cases after inter-state movement was allowed during the lockdown period.

To screen all the returnees, the state government has imposed a mandatory institutional quarantine policy for everyone, barring some exceptions. 

8 test COVID-19 positive in Tripura, tally reaches 254

Ten people, including eight who returned from Bangladesh recently, have tested positive for COVID-19 in Tripura, taking the total number of cases in the state to 254, Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb said.

The eight had returned on Thursday through the Akhaura Integrated Check Post (ICP).

The others who tested positive are a Border Security Force (BSF) personnel from its 86th battalion and a person who returned from Gurugram recently.

 However, none of the 166 passengers who flew from Kolkata on Friday in the first flight operated since the imposition of the lockdown were found to be infected.

 The government is taking all precautionary measures to keep everyone secure, Deb said in a tweet on Friday.

Law Minister Ratan Lal Nath said that out of 29,359 persons who were placed under surveillance, 18,078 have completed their 14-day observation period and were discharged. 

 At present, 11,281 people are under surveillance, including 510 housed in quarantine centres and the rest in home quarantine.

 Nath, who is also the cabinet spokesperson, said, “6,355 persons have been tested per million population. This is one of the highest testing rates in the country.”

Conrad hints of more cases with arrival from ‘red zones’

Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad Sangma on Saturday said that there could be a possibility of more COVID-19 positive cases due to the large number of returnees who have come from other parts of the country, including ‘red zones’.

 He however voiced confidence that there is no community transmission of the disease yet in the State due to strict screening and testing protocols.

Meghalaya has recorded 27 COVID-19 cases, of which 12 have recovered, one died, eight active and seven remain active and under treatment.

All the recent 15 positive cases were returnees to the state from Tamil Nadu and Delhi-Haryana.

“We should expect that there will some more cases and there is nothing unexpected but we should not be worried because strict screening and testing protocols are being maintained,” Sangma said in his video message transmitted via social media.

“There is no chance of any kind of community transmission because all of them will be kept in Corona Care Centres or Quarantine Centres,” the Chief Minister further added.

“It is expected that we will see some positive cases coming up. I think the issue which one has to think about is that;  number one is when people come in they must be screened properly, which I think you see that in almost all the North Eastern states, especially Meghalaya, where strict testing protocols are being maintained and screening is very strict,” he said.

Urging the citizens of the State not to be surprised about spike in corona virus infection cases, Sangma said, “I think it is important to note that community transmission should not happen and therefore there is nothing to be alarmed. We should expect that there will be some more cases and there is nothing unexpected but we should not be worried as I said because of the fact that strict screening protocols are being maintained and there is no chance of any kind of community transmission because all of them will be kept in Corona Care Centres or quarantine centres.”

“All strict measures are being maintained and hopefully we will not see any kind of mass spread,” the Chief Minister expressed optimism. Till Friday, 10,655 stranded residents have returned to Meghalaya from various parts of the country. 

(Correspondent)

3 new COVID cases in Manipur, total 61 

In the wake of surge of COVID-19 cases, Manipur government is planning to set up a 100-bedded temporary COVID care centre. The decision to set up temporary COVID care centre was taken in a high level meeting chaired by chief minister N Biren Singh on May 28.

The temporary COVID care centre is to be established alongside the state government’s plan to open isolation wards with 30 beds each in all the district hospitals for treatment of COVID-19 patients.

An official source said that the state government has selected a private school in Imphal West district, UNACCO School at Meitram village which is currently used a government quarantine centre.

Authorities of the state government had approached the school management to convert the school into a COVID care centre and upon agreement, necessary steps to make the centre operational at the earliest have started, the source added.

State health department has contacted firms based outside the state for supply of equipment needed in setting up the COVID care centre, the source said.

The 100-bedded temporary COVID care centre will be upgraded into a 200-bedded one if necessary, the source added.

Meanwhile, to cope with the shortage of technicians at the VRDL of JNIMS, state health department has also signed an agreement with the management of a private diagnostic centre to hire technicians.

The management of Babina Diagnostic Centre has agreed to let the state government utilise their technicians in the operating the COVID-19 testing laboratory at JNIMS, the source said.

Health department has initiated necessary process to open isolation wards with 30 beds each in all the district hospitals.

Even as there is no local transmission of the pandemic in the state, COVID-19 case among the returnees has increased to 62 on Saturday with three more new cases detected among the returnees in the last 24 hours.

After eight have recovered and discharged from the hospitals, there are 54 active cases in the state till the time of filing this report.

A 19-year-old girl who hails from Kanglatongbi village of Imphal West district who recently Gujarat was tested positive for the virus late last night while two others (a female and one male) were tested for the virus today, a release of the COVID-19 Common Control Room of the state government said.

The female who hails from Chandel district returned from Chennai while the male returned from Mumbai.

They were among 580 samples tested during the last 24 hours at the VRDLs at RIMS (400) and JNIMS (180).

(Correspondent)

 

-Tags:#COVID-19

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus