Sports

Federer out of Australian Open

Melbourne, Dec 28 (Agencies) | Publish Date: 12/28/2020 12:46:54 PM IST

 Six-times champion Roger Federer has withdrawn from the Australian Open as he continues to work his way back to fitness from two knee operations earlier this year, his agent said.

The 39-year-old Swiss last played a competitive match at the season-opening Grand Slam in January before he had to undergo surgery on his knee. He later required a second operation.
The start of the 2021 Australian Open has been delayed for three weeks until Feb. 8 due to the country’s strict border rules to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Federer, who had been training at his off-season base in Dubai, had told organisers that the delayed start to the tournament could benefit him.
However, his agent Tony Godsick said Federer was not quite ready to return.
“Roger has decided not to play the 2021 Australian Open,” Godsick said in a statement. “He has made strong progress in the last couple of months with his knee and his fitness.
“However, after consultation with his team, he decided that the best decision for him in the long run is to return to competitive tennis after the Australian Open.”
Godsick added that he was looking to build a playing calendar for Federer from late February.
Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley said they were disappointed to lose Federer for next year’s event.

-Tags:#Federer

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus