State

GoI to decide status of Niki group for talks

Staff Reporter DIMAPUR, DEC 28 (NPN) | Publish Date: 12/28/2020 12:35:56 PM IST

Even as leader of the breakaway faction of NSCN (K) Niki Sumi had met Home ministry officials in Delhi recently to deliberate on the group joining the peace parleys, the Government of India (GoI) was yet to formally announce the signing of the cease fire as pre-condition for official talks. 

Sources said that communication with the splinter group had been going on for some time for inclusion at the negotiating table.

This was disclosed by Niki himself when he issued a statement on December 23, announcing that his group had decided to revive the cease-fire with the Centre which it had unitarily abrogated in 2015.

Niki had said that his group was aware of the sincere and genuine efforts made by the government of India in the recent past, towards finding a final and lasting solution to the Naga issue with involvement of all the stakeholders. Niki said in the light of the above, NSCN/GPRN resolved to strengthen and support the peace process at the present critical juncture. In order to facilitate the peace process, Niki said his group decided to revive the cease fire. He also expressed the hope that Centre would respond positively and honour their decision as a confidence building measure in the larger interest of peace in Nagaland and Nagas in general.

As per reports, over 50 NSCN cadres were received at the Indo-Myanmar border in Phek district earlier this week. Before the cadres were brought to Nagaland, it was learnt that Niki had reportedly met Home ministry officials in Delhi.

There has also been no formal communication from both the Centre or Niki’s group on whether they will sit for talks as a separate group or join with their former comrades led by Khango Konyak and Isak Sumi, who are now part of the Working Committee of NNPGs.

The Centre is to take a call on this aspect, sources said. There is also no indication from Niki on whether he will be part of the peace process along with the NNPGs. 

A senior NNPG leader, speaking on condition of anonymity told The Print that, Niki’s group was yet to approach the NNPGs. He explained that “the government of India is unlikely to hold talks again with a new group. He said “if at all the Niki Sumi faction wants to be part of the peace process, they will have to be part of NNPGs”. He cited the case of Khango faction of NSCN-K which has already joined NNPGs. “And since they are a breakaway faction of the NSCN-K, the ceasefire process has to be renewed with GoI-- it will have to be a new process of ceasefire,” he added.

 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus