Monday, October 3, 2022

Anthony scores on debut as Man Utd end Arsenal’s unbeaten run

Marcus Rashford hit a double after Antony’s debut strike as Manchester United ended Arsenal’s unbeaten start to the season with a 3-1 win at Old Trafford.
Picked to start just three days after completing his move from Ajax, Antony slotted United into a first-half lead after Gabriel Martinelli was denied by another controversial VAR intervention, reported. Arsenal had a deserved equaliser when Bukayo Saka swept home on the hour mark, but United pulled away when Rashford rounded off two devastating counter-attacks in the final 25 minutes.
Arsenal’s dominance of possession ultimately counted for nothing as they dropped points for the first time this term, with the rejuvenated hosts moving to within three points of the Gunners.
Christian Eriksen and Jadon Sancho spurned good chances as United made a fast start, but they were handed a huge let-off when Martinelli applied a cool one-on-one finish 12 minutes in, as referee Paul Tierney spotted a foul on Eriksen in the build-up after heading to the monitor.
With Arsenal growing in confidence, David de Gea was forced into a fine one-handed save from Martinelli, but the hosts took the lead against the run of play after 35 minutes as Antony slotted home after latching onto Rashford’s pass.
Arsenal continued to dominate the ball after the break, with Saka drilling a low shot wide shortly before Antony was replaced by Cristiano Ronaldo.
The Gunners’ pressure finally told on the hour mark, as Saka capitalised on a loose ball to sweep home after the impressive Gabriel Jesus was dispossessed.
But Rashford was to prove the match-winner as United hit their opponents on the break in brilliant fashion, racing onto Bruno Fernandes’ pass to put the Red Devils in front before tapping home from Eriksen’s cut-back to secure United’s fourth consecutive win.

Brighton beat Leicester in seven-goal thriller

Brighton fought back from conceding a first-minute goal to beat struggling Leicester City in a seven-goal thriller at the Amex.
Leicester, bottom of the Premier League, scored after only 51 seconds when Kelechi Iheanacho finished from Patson Daka’s pull-back from the left, BBC reported.
However, the lead only lasted eight minutes before Solly March’s header deflected into the net off Leicester defender Luke Thomas.
Brighton went ahead in the 15th minute, capitalising on a loose pass from James Maddison with Moises Caicedo scoring after being set up by Enock Mwepu.
But in a frantic first half, Leicester scored again after 32 minutes. Youri Tielemans, deep inside his own half, played a ball over the top of the Brighton defence, Daka held off Lewis Dunk’s challenge and slotted the ball past Robert Sanchez for 2-2. Alexis Mac Allister thought he had restored the Seagulls’ lead with a spectacular strike from 30 yards but, after a video assistant referee check that lasted more than four minutes, the goal was eventually ruled out for offside.
It did not prove to be crucial as Leandro Trossard scored Brighton’s third from Pascal Gross’ pass, with Trossard then winning a penalty, which Mac Allister converted for the fourth.
Fittingly, the last say went to Argentina midfielder Mac Allister who curled in an excellent 25-yard free-kick in injury time for his second goal and Brighton’s fifth.
The result maintains Brighton’s excellent start to the season and they are fourth in the Premier League, while Leicester, with just one point from six matches, are three points adrift at the foot of the table.