The department of Agriculture has directed all district agriculture officers and sub-divisional agriculture officers along with their officers & field staff and ATMA personnel to remain in their respective place of posting during this cropping season.
In a press release, the department while looking at last year’s experience where most crops failed due to erratic weather conditions along with insect-pests and diseases, it informed all concerned to be vigil for real time assessment and monitoring of crop situation, pests situation or any natural calamity.
It also asked all concerned to submit timely reports and documentation through the groups’ WhatsApp to the directorate for further intervention.
The department has also instructed to conduct farmer’s training and awareness campaign on management of agriculture activities along with natural calamity.
In order to perform scouting on Fall Army Worm (FAW) in maize crop, surveillance and monitoring of other insect-pests and disease incidence on all crops above economic threshold level (ETL) by involving KVK & ATMA personnel on a regular basis has also been advised.
Further, the department informed all concerned have been directed to convey farmer’s advisory through field staff and ATMA farmer’s friends to the farming communities.
Hill agriculture-Jhum/shifting cultivation:
• Do Staggered Log Bunding across the slope to check run-off water in case of heavy rainfall
• Survey and identify areas for gully plucking with locally available materials to check nallah formation
• Crop lodged should be stacked or bind together in bundle
• Short durat ion crops distributed by the department such as maize, pulses & oilseeds can be sown up to third week of June
Terrace Rice Cultivation/WRC (Pani Kheti)
• Staggered sowing (2 weeks apart) in nursery bed to cope with climate unpredictability
• Prepare side drain around nursery beds against flash flood & wash-off
• As far as possible use young seedlings for better yield.
• To do early field preparation for TRC/W R
• Direct-seeding may be adopted