Regional

Lockdown in Shillong as 12 test positive for COVID-19

Lockdown in Shillong as 12 test positive for COVID-19
People maintaining physical distancing in Tuikhuahtlang, Mizoram. (File)
Correspondent Shillong, Jul 13 | Publish Date: 7/13/2020 10:37:36 AM IST

Twelve positive cases, including ten Border Security Force (BSF) troopers and two patients in the North Eastern Regional Institute of Health and Medical Sciences (NEIGRIHMS), were reported in Shillong taking the total active COVID-19 count to 271 in the State on Monday.

Health and family welfare minister, Alexander Laloo Hek said that 236 cases includes that of 182 BSF troopers, two 2 from Indian Air Force and 52 others are in East Khasi Hills district, 20 in Ri Bhoi, two in East Jaintia Hills, nine in West Garo Hills, two in South Garo Hills and one each in East Garo Hills and North Garo Hills.

He also informed that one more patient has recovered on Monday taking the recovery tally to 46 in the State. Meghalaya has so far registered 319 COVID-19 cases.

Meanwhile, a two-day lock-down along with curfew begun on Monday in Shillong which reported 95 per cent of active COVID-19 cases.   “The situation is grim and the government has taken all precautionary measures to contain the spread of COVID-19,” Hek said, urging the people to avoid coming out of the houses unnecessarily.

Earlier, chief minister Conrad Sangma chaired a review meeting via video conferencing with NEIGRIHMS Director Dr. P Bhattacharya on the status of the cases in the hospital and also discussed the situation in East Khasi Hills and other districts. “The State government and NEIGRIHMS authorities have decided to continue with our joint fight against this pandemic,” said Hek. The super specialty NEIGRIHMS hospital is the nodal hospital for testing of swab samples for COVID-19 in Meghalaya.

On the other hand, director of NEIGRIHMS, Dr. P Bhattacharya said there are 13 COVID-19 positive patients in the Institute now.

Emphasising that health workers should not face any stigma,  director of Health Services (MI), Dr. Aman War pointed out that employees of the NEIGERIHMS who have been going back to different localities after work are being provided with certificates regarding their health status and therefore, said that they should not be harassed in anyway.

Arunachal’s COVID-19 tally rises to 359

Arunachal Pradesh reported 19 new coronavirus infections, taking the state’s COVID-19 tally to 359, a senior Health department official said here on Monday.

Eleven cases were reported from the Capital Complex comprising Itanagar, Naharlagun, Nirjuli and Banderdewa, seven from Changlang district while one case was detected from Namsai district, he said.

Of the 11 cases in the Capital region, seven were detected from various areas of Naharlagun, while one from an area near Hotel Donyi Polo Ashok in Itanagar, State Surveillance Officer (SSO) Dr L Jampa said.

While three health workers were found infected with the virus in the Capital region, two were found infected at the Urban Primary Health Centre (UPHC) here and one from the Tomo Riba Institute of Health and Medical Sciences (TRIHMS) in Naharlagun, Dr Jampa said. Two of the cases from Naharlagun are primary contacts of a health care worker, he added.

“All the cases are asymptomatic except one, and they have been shifted to COVID care centres,” Dr Jampa said.

The seven positive patients of Changlang district are returnees from Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh while the person from Namsai had returned from Tamil Nadu, the SSO said.

Mizoram reports four new cases

Mizoram has reported four new COVID-19 cases, raising the state’s coronavirus tally to 231, a health official said.

The patients are personnel of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) posted at Lungverh, about 15 km from Aizawl, he said. All of them had recently returned from other states - Assam, Manipur, Haryana and Andhra Pradesh - the official said. Mizoram now has 81 active cases, while at least 150 people have been discharged after recovery.

A total of 16,696 samples have been tested till Sunday evening, he added.

Tripura’s tally mounts to 2,068 

Tripura’s COVID-19 count has shot up to 2,068 with 105 more people testing positive for the disease, Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb said.

Among the fresh cases, 37 were reported in West Tripura, 29 in Gomati district and 18 in Sepahijala district, officials said here.

“Alert! 105 people found COVID-19 positive today out of 1,854 samples tested. As the numbers are increasing, I urge everyone to stay cautious,” Deb said in a tweet late on Sunday.

Tripura has so far reported two COVID-19 fatalities. A total of 1,421 people have been discharged from hospitals after recovering from the disease, the officials said.

Two more test positive in Sikkim

Two more persons tested positive for COVID-19 in Sikkim, taking the total tally in the state to 153, the health department said on Monday. Both have been admitted to the isolation wing of STNM hospital here.

One of them is from East Sikkim, and the other from south, the department said in its bulletin. The number of active cases in the state currently stands at 71, while 82 have recovered so far.

East Sikkim has registered the maximum number of COVID-19 cases at 88, followed by South Sikkim at 22, West Sikkim at 22, and one in North Sikkim.

 

-Tags:#COVID-19

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus