Regional

M’laya may touch 10,000 Covid-19 active cases: CM

SHILLONG, MAY 17: | Publish Date: 5/17/2021 1:30:09 PM IST

 Correspondent

Meghalaya chief minister Conrad Sangma on Monday expressed concern that there was possibilities of several fold increase in the number of weeks to come in the State.
Sangma said the state is looking at a tough situation in the next few weeks in combination with a shortage of vaccines that may cause inconvenience to the people.
“We had anticipated that by May 12 we may touch 5,000 COVID-19 cases but we managed to slow things down by imposing lockdown in East Khasi Hills district and restrictions in other districts. But if this trend continues we may go beyond 7000 to 8000 cases or maybe even 10,000 in a short time,” the Sangma told reporters. He said that the government had  imposed the lockdown and restrictions mainly to slow down the spread of the virus and during that time build infrastructure and also invest in manpower.
“If we had not done so (lockdown) the situation would have been much worse,” he said.
Anticipating the possibility of rise in COVID-19 cases in the State, Sangma said the government has also decided to set up beds which will be run by the community in different parts of Shillong for cases which do not need hospital support.
“We are looking at a tough situation for the next few weeks but if society and the state works together we are sure that we will be able to overcome this very difficult phase of maybe two-three weeks where we are seeing a rise in cases of pressure on the health care system, shortage of the vaccinations. So all these aspects are adding to a lot of pressure but we hope we will see things improve once this particular phase is over,” Sangma Minister said.
Furthermore, Sangma also informed that oxygen cylinders have been doubled from 700 to close to 1500 since the beginning of the second Covid wave in the State. 
Stating that the state so far has spent close to Rs. 400 crore, which is substantially lesser than what was spent last year, Sangma said the figures were on the higher side last year as there was chaos all around.
 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus