State

Mar 22 incident: WSYF demands release of 4 arrested persons

DIMAPUR, APR 19 (NPN) | Publish Date: 4/19/2021 1:24:34 PM IST

Taking umbrage to the arrest of four suspects in connection with the March 22 incident where three persons were killed and their prolonged detention, Western Sumi Youth Front (WSYF) has demanded their immediate release.

WSYF through its media cell cautioned that if the State government failed to release the “innocent citizens” at the earliest, resolve the boundary dispute by according topmost priority, given the volatile situation, and succumbed to undue pressure from certain quarters demanding termination of 9th IRB post commander from active service, it would be “compelled to initiate summoning all its resources to take stringent steps, the fallout of which remains unpredictable but the responsibility would be shouldered by the state government.” 
While asserting that it does not condone any form of killing or violence nor envisaged to interfere in the due process of law, WSYF however declared that it was strongly against undue harassment of innocent citizens by government machineries. It expressed grave concern over the arrest of four persons by Special Investigation Team (SIT) on suspicion of their involvement with the unfortunate March 22 incident and their prolonged detention by the State machinery.
Pointing out that it was 20 days since the arrests were made, WSYF said they were being detained till date merely on suspicion, and has given rise to doubts as to whether the police were victimising the innocent persons to quell “any possible fallout on the law and order front from a particular side”. Asserting that a person was innocent until proven guilty by the court of law, WSYF said they maintain this strong stand on the arrests made by SIT.
According to the youth body, the inability of the police to nab the real culprits and then randomly arrest innocent citizens on mere suspicion was highly questionable as it amounted to undue harassment. Demanding immediate release of the arrested persons who are innocent, the front said it would ensure that they report to the authorities as and when further interrogation was necessitated.
Viewing the present situation as an issue between two villages– Kiyevi and Lamhai– falling in Dimapur and Peren districts respectively, WSYF alleged that the fact that Lamhai Village Council gave illegal permit to outsiders to establish a village within Kiyevi land was being presented to the State government and accordingly press statements were issued requesting the government to settle the Kiyevi land encroachment issue at the earliest. But it regretted that no tangible action had been visible in this regard from the government side. WSYF said it viewed the government’s inability to enforce its own order and directive of maintaining status quo along the disputed area as “intentional and partisan” to shelter encroachers and harass innocent public and their leaders. 
Referring to some organisations demanding termination of post commander of 9th IRB company deployed in the disputed area from active service, WSYF averred that such termination would amount to victimising the “innocent” police personnel for failure of the government to issue any proper directive to act upon. 
“Merely deploying personnel at a disputed area without any clear-cut directive to them is akin to cosmetic procedures without working on the actual need. Therefore, we object to any such demand from any quarter. Rather, the State government should immediately evict all illegal settlers from the encroached area following its own order,” WSYF stated.
In connection with the border issue, WSYF reminded the government of the killings of Khehoi Aye, head GB of Khehoi village, who was shot dead on March 9, 1984; Khunihe Shohe, pastor of Shikuto village, who was shot dead on March 9, 2001 and the two persons shot dead at Inavi village in 2011.
WSYF also reminded the government to act on its representation submitted to chief minister through Dimapur deputy commissioner on April 1, 2021.

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus