Regional

Meghalaya registers 32 fresh COVID cases and two deaths

Correspondent SHILLONG, JUL 19 | Publish Date: 7/19/2020 12:44:30 PM IST

Two more patients died and 32 new COVID-19 cases were reported on Sunday in Meghalaya, taking the number of fatalities and the active cases of the viral infection to four and 397 respectively.

Director Health Services (MI), Dr. Aman War said the two deceased include a geologist of the Geological Survey of India (GSI) and a head constable of Border Security Force (BSF) who succumbed to COVID-19 in the North Eastern Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health and Medical Sciences (NEIGRIHMS) here in the wee hours of Sunday.
War said that 40-year-old Banteilang R. Syngai, a senior geologist of the Geological Survey of India (GSI) posted in Kolkata, had returned to Meghalaya and was admitted at NEIGRIHMS on July 5 with complaints of pain in the right upper quadrant of the abdomen.
Syngai was diagnosed as a case of acute “Calculus Cholecystitis” and also subsequently tested positive for COVID-19.
“On July 16 and 17, Syngai tested negative for COVID-19, but however developed sudden onset respiratory failure on July 18 and was initially managed on non-invasive ventilation but did not improve and was subsequently incubated,” Dr. War said.
“His respiratory failure worsened and he developed respiratory and cardiac arrest. CPR was given according to ACLS protocol but he could not be revived,” the medical official informed.
47-year-old BSF Head Constable Nandeshwar Deury, who was a known Type II diabetic, had tested positive for COVID-19 on July 4.
“He was in acute respiratory distress syndrome, with severe sepsis and multi-organ failure. He did not improve with treatment. He developed respiratory and cardiac failure which did not improve with resuscitative efforts and expired,” Dr War informed.
Meanwhile, the mortal remains of Syngai were buried at Nongsder Presbyterian cemetery in Ri-Bhoi district, while the remains of Head Constable Deury were cremated at the electric crematorium in Upper Mawprem in Shillong.
As on Sunday evening, 32 more fresh cases include 29 BSF troopers from Mawpat and two civilians from East Khasi Hills district and one from Khanapara in Ri-Bhoi district.
East Khasi Hills district has the highest number of active cases at 343 (268 BSF, others 61, armed forces - 14), 36 in Ri Bhoi,  11 in West Garo Hills, two each in in East Jaintia Hills and South Garo Hills and one each in East Garo Hills and North Garo Hills.
The overall COVID-19 cases in Meghalaya has climbed up to 450 that include 49 persons have recovered so far from the viral infection.
“We are thinking to declare the BSF Mawpat as a containment zone. However we have to take in consideration of other logistics and difficulties that may arise if we declare the whole area as a containment zone but we will do this in consultation with the BSF and that call will be taken by the State government,” War said.

-Tags:#COVID

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus