Sports

Murray’s Aus Open in doubt after COVID+ve

London, Jan 15 (Agencies) | Publish Date: 1/15/2021 12:04:00 PM IST

Former world number one Andy Murray’s participation at the Australian Open is in doubt after the Briton tested positive for coronavirus.

The 33-year-old Scot was set to fly out to Melbourne on a chartered flight arriving there over the next 36 hours. Instead he remains in quarantine and isolating at home in London.
Murray, who is said to be in good health, remains hopeful he will be allowed to travel safely at a later date and compete as planned.
The five-time Australian Open runner-up pulled out of last week’s ATP event in Delray Beach as he wanted to “minimise the risks” of catching a transatlantic flight to Florida. The Australian Open will start on February 8 at Melbourne Park, three weeks later than usual, because of the coronavirus pandemic. Players must test negative before taking one of the 15 chartered flights - which have been put on by tournament organisers and will operate at 25% capacity - to Australia.
Once they have arrived, they will have to pass a series of Covid tests during a14-day quarantine in Melbourne before the Grand Slam.
“Murray, and the other 1,240 people as part of the program, need to demonstrate that if they’re coming to Melbourne they have returned a negative test,” said Victorian state health minister Martin Foley.
“So should Murray arrive, and I have no indication that he will, he will be subject to those same rigorous arrangements as everyone else. Should he test positive prior to his attempts to come to Australia, he will be refused.”
 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus