Myanmar junta blocks internet access

Myanmar junta blocks internet access
Myanmar police block the road to prevent protesters from marching forward in Yangon on Saturday.
YANGON, FEB 6 (AP) | Publish Date: 2/6/2021 1:20:54 PM IST

Myanmar’s new military authorities appeared to have cut most access to the Internet on Saturday as they faced a rising tide of protest over their coup that toppled Aung San Suu Kyi’s elected civilian government.

Numerous internet users noted a slow disappearance of services, especially from mobile service providers, that accelerated sharply late Saturday morning. Broadband connection also later failed, while there were mixed reports on whether landline telephone service was still working.

Netblocks, a London-based service that tracks internet disruptions and shutdowns, said Saturday afternoon that “a near-total internet shutdown is now in effect” in Myanmar, with connectivity falling to just 16% of normal levels.

The broad outage followed Friday’s government order to block Twitter and Instagram that said some people were trying to use the platforms to spread what it deemed fake news. Facebook had already been blocked earlier in the week — though not completely effectively. The communication blockages are a stark reminder of the progress Myanmar is in danger of losing after Monday’s coup plunged the nation back under direct military rule after a nearly decade-long move toward greater openness and democracy. During Myanmar’s previous five decades of military rule, the country was internationally isolated and communication with the outside world strictly controlled. 

Suu Kyi’s five years as leader since 2015 had been Myanmar’s most democratic period despite the military retaining broad powers over the government, the continued use of repressive colonial-era laws and the persecution of minority Rohingya Muslims.

The blockages are also adding greater urgency to efforts to resist the coup, with Saturday seeing some of the largest street protests against the takeover. In what appeared to be the main one, about 1,000 protesters — factory workers and students prominent among them — marched Saturday morning down a main street in Yangon, the country’s biggest city, and were met by more than 100 police in riot gear. Members of the crowd shouted “Military dictatorship should fall” and “Down with dictatorship.” They marched with their hands in the air, formed into three-fingered salutes, a symbol of defiance adopted from protesters in neighbouring Thailand, who borrowed the gesture from the “Hunger Games” movie franchise.

The demonstration ended peacefully with no clashes reported. It dispersed around the time communications were cut, and it was unclear if the marchers later regrouped.

Telenor Myanmar, a major mobile operator, confirmed it had received Friday’s order to block Twitter and Instagram. In a statement, Twitter said it was “deeply concerned” about the order and vowed to “advocate to end destructive government-led shutdowns.” “It undermines the public conversation and the rights of people to make their voices heard,” its spokesperson said. Since the coup, social media platforms have been major sources of independent news as well as organising tools for protests.

In New York, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres pledged Friday that the United Nations will do everything it can to unite the international community and create conditions for the military coup in Myanmar to be reversed.

He told a news conference it is “absolutely essential” to carry out the Security Council’s calls for a return to democracy, respect for the results of the November elections, and release of all people detained by the military, “which means the reversal of the coup that took place.” Guterres said Christine Schraner Burgener, the UN special envoy for Myanmar, had a first contact with the military since the coup and expressed the UN’s strong opposition to the takeover.

Suu Kyi in good health: Myanmar military

Former Myanmar State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi, who has been in detention since the military took control of the country earlier this week, is in good health, an army official said.

The development was confirmed by the official to the Xinhua news agency on Friday. Following their detention on Monday morning Suu Kyi and former President U Win Myint were remanded in custody for violating the National Disaster Management Law and Import-Export Law until February 15, the official added. Friday’s development came a day after U Win Htein, patron of the former ruling NLD party, was arrested.

U Win Htein is known to be one of the former de facto leader’s trusted confidants. “We are checking out under which section of laws U Win Htein was charged,” Kyi Toe, the party’s information committee member, said in an online post.


Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267,



Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus