Nagaland COVID-19 tally 1239

Nagaland COVID-19 tally 1239
DIMAPUR, JUL 24 (NPN) | Publish Date: 7/24/2020 1:43:29 PM IST

  *702 active   *537 recovered   *1 death yet to be confirmed

Nagaland on Friday registered 65 fresh COVID-19 cases while 7 more recovered from the infection, taking the state’s total tally to 1239-- 702 active and 537 recovered cases. The Health department in its daily bulletin stated that “1 death reported from Dimapur is yet to be established as due to COVID-19.”

According to state Health department ‘situation update’, 32 cases were reported from the armed forces, 25 returnees (including 8 non-resident technical persons on duty), 1 frontline worker and 7 traced contacts.

In a tweet, Health minister S. Pangnyu Phom informed that 41 cases were reported from Dimapur, 21 from Kohima, Peren-2 and Tuensang-1. The 7 persons who recovered were from Kohima, he added.

As per the severity of symptoms, 697 cases were asymptomatic, 2 mild, 1 moderate and 1 admitted to ICU on ventilator.

Till July 25, a total of 20,466 samples were sent for testing through RT-PCR. Results of 19,330 samples were received and out which 12,134 samples were tested at the BSL-3 lab (NHAK) where 692 samples tested positive. 

In addition, a total of 13,960 samples were sent for testing on Truenat out of which 13,093 tested negative and 443 positive, and sent for confirmation by RT-PCR. 

Further, a total of 2,753 persons were presently under Facility Quarantine.

2 more deaths in Dmu spark COVID-19 fears
Amidst the spike in COVID-19 cases in Nagaland, the deaths of two more persons-- one in Dimapur and the other in Medziphema- confront the state health authorities on COVID-19 deaths where, till July 24, it was recorded as ‘Nil’.
Out of four who died, three had tested positive for COVID-19 through TrueNat machine and only one who died at Medziphema had tested negative on TrueNat. However, after the death of the patient on July 21, the COVID-19 test through RT-PCR was confirmed as positive. This was stated by the Senior Medical Officer (SMO) of Medziphema CHC in a letter to Chief Medical Officer Dimapur.
According to official sources, a 70-year old person died on Friday morning at the COVID-19 Hospital, Dimapur of suspected COVID-19 and multiple health issues. The deceased was a resident of Dimapur.
He was first admitted to a private hospital on July 21 for complaints of chronic pneumonia and Myocardial Infarction (MI) and later shifted to COVID Hospital on July 23 after showing symptoms for COVID, sources said.
On TrueNat machine, the patient tested positive for COVID-19 on July 22 but a second confirmatory test at the BSL-3 laboratory at Kohima through RT-PCR was awaited, the sources added.
District health officials had stated that all Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) were carried out in handling the body. It has been learnt that the body was handed over to the family members of the deceased.
With regard to Medziphema CHC case, SMO in his letter stated that a 50-year-old man, who was admitted after falling sick on July 19 passed away on July 21. SMO had said that the patient tested negative for COVID through TrueNat on July 19. However, the confirmation result testing positive for COVID-19 through RT-PCR at BSL-2 lab was received on July 24, stated the SMO.
The SMO therefore requested the CMO for sealing of the CHC and arrangements for quarantine centre for medical staff and all primary contacts.
When contacted, a senior health department official said that confirmation on the cause of death was yet to be established. 
It may also be mentioned that the RT-PCR confirmatory test results of two persons-- 72-year old male who died on July 21 at Nikos Hospital Dimapur and a female who died at a paid quarantine centre in MP road Dimapur on July 22 (both from Assam) were still awaited.
Meanwhile, the gag order on government officers except AHoD has resulted in blockade on vital information since no doctor, medical or administrative officials were willing to provide any information.
When some officials are contacted they either say that they are not authorized to speak or share any information. Even those “authorized” to speak such as senior officials when contacted, are either “unreachable” or don’t respond to calls. Even in the very few instances, officials would say they were not in a position to confirm even if they have heard/learnt about the report.
What the media is left with are bits of information from social media or from twitter accounts of top officials and politicians instead of getting timely briefings.

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267,



Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus