State

NPCC flays NPF, NDPP for voting in favour of CAB

Correspondent KOHIMA, DEC 12 (NPN) | Publish Date: 12/12/2019 11:48:12 AM IST

A day after the Parliament cleared the contentious Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, the Nagaland Pradesh Congress Committee (NPCC) slammed the two Members of Parliament from Nagaland belonging to the NDPP (Lok Sabha) and NPF (Rajya Sabha) for voting in favour of the Bill, saying they have misrepresented the Nagas in many forms.

Addressing media persons at Congress Bhavan here Thursday, NPCC president K Therie recalled the participation of Rajya Sabha MP, KG Kenye, during the recent protest against CAB outside the Parliament and said it showed that the MP was not actually protesting against the spirit of the CAB. He also said MP was not aware that the bill was in violation of rights provided in the constitution under Article 13 and 14.

NPCC president said the Congress had opposed in both the houses of the parliament because the Bill was against the spirit of the constitution. Therie said the MP as Christian should not have voted in favour of the Bill that discriminated the Muslims in India and around the world. In spite of knowing that the Bill discriminated the Muslims, NPCC president said the MPs voted without any hesitation, saying their action was against true Christian spirit as Christians do not profess to discriminate any community.

Citing an example of Tripura, Therie said the tribals there have been reduced to a minority of around 30% while the remaining 70% were illegal immigrants from Bangladesh.

He claimed that even the father of incumbent chief minister of Tripura was from Bangladesh and his citizenship was naturalized only in 1957.

Though the central government has given safety provision to tribal area, sixth schedule areas and those areas covered by the Inner Line Permit (ILP) including Nagaland, Therie said the illegal immigrants, however, cannot be stopped because Assam being the gateway was left opened.

Even though the centre claims that areas under ILP would be protected, NPCC chief asserted that ILP was just a travel permit with a limited stay period.

Once illegal immigrants are granted citizenship, he said no one can deny their rights and privileges. Therie also claimed that delimitation would be done basing on the population. Therefore, Therie said that though Nagaland was under ILP regime, he did not understand how it would salvage the Nagas.

He said state government should carefully study about the CAB Act else there would be too many loopholes that would not be able to be controlled.

NPCC president also said that it was too early to accept Citizenship Amendment Bill. He expressed apprehension that 20-30 years from now, the demography of the state would be completely changed. He said that even the Naga leaders in 1929 feared of Nagas being submerged in the ocean of Hindus and Muslims since Nagas were a small community. As for the Congress, he said the party if given the opportunity would revoke CAB. 

 

-Tags:#NPCC

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus