Sports

Tsitsipas knocked out of Paris Masters by Frenchman Umbert

PARIS, NOV 4 (AGENCIES) | Publish Date: 11/4/2020 1:08:25 PM IST

Greek second seed Stefanos Tsitsipas was knocked out of the Paris Masters in the second round when he was beaten 7-6(4) 6-7(6) 7-6(3) by Frenchman Ugo Humbert on Tuesday.

Tsitsipas saved three match points in the second set’s tiebreak and another one in the last set before bowing out at an empty Bercy arena despite serving 19 aces.
Tsitsipas was trailing 6-3 in the second tiebreak but raised his game and benefited from his opponent’s nerves to bag five points in a row and force a decider. But the 22-year-old Umbert kept his composure in the third set’s tiebreak to set up a meeting with Marin Cilic.
The Croatian advanced without playing after his opponent, France’s Corentin Moutet, was withdrawn from the tournament after testing positive for coronavirus, the ATP said.
Earlier, Swiss Stan Wawrinka beat Briton Daniel Evans 6-3 7-6(3) in the first round, while Belgian eighth seed David Goffin slumped to a 6-4 7-6(6) second-round defeat against Slovak Norbert Gombos.
Top seed Rafa Nadal starts his campaign on Wednesday with a second-round encounter with fellow Spaniard Feliciano Lopez.
Stefanos Tsitsipas says he is unsure how his ATP Finals title defence will go later this month after the Greek suffered a recurrence of a leg injury during his second-round defeat at the Paris Masters on Tuesday.
“Right now, I don’t know. I really don’t know,” Tsitsipas told reporters when asked about his chances at The O2 in London, where the season-ending ATP Finals will be held without spectators from Nov. 15-22.
“During the second set my Roland Garros injury came back, and it wasn’t as bad as at the French Open, but it kind of had me on the edge of things, and I wasn’t sure if that’s good for me to be out there.
“But that’s not an excuse, for sure. I still fought and gave my best out there, despite this thing that I had on court. I’m sad, for sure.”
Tsitsipas said he had picked up a leg injury during his French Open semi-final against world number one Novak Djokovic earlier this month which hampered him in the fifth set.
Italian Matteo Berrettini’s bid to qualify for the ATP Finals ended with a 7-6(3) 6-7(0) 7-5 defeat to American qualifier Marcos Giron on Tuesday.
 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus